Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Something else, for a change

The back and front of the K_sweater are done! I didn't take pictures though, because the sides roll up so much, and I didn't have the time to look for my fixing pins yet.
Before I start the sleeves I wanted to do something else in between though; I promised a colleague of mine who's having a baby in spring that I would make some baby booties and a little hat for her. That's what I wanted to knit in my "sweater break", but then I remembered something that was buried deep down in my stash:


Crochet pot holders! Simple yet efficient, and essential for everybody. Well, if they have a kitchen, or a stove.
When I moved to Munich three and a half years ago, it was K's and my first apartment and although I had collected a few kitchen things, I didn't have pot holders. I didn't see the point of buying some, as I had learned to crochet about a zillion years ago and I thought it couldn't be so hard. I made a few pot holders and an oven glove. However, some of the pot holders turned out to be too small so I frogged them a few months ago and put the yarn in my stash box and closed it. Well, until Saturday. Friends of mine just moved house and I thought an oven glove and some pot holders were quite a nice (and practical) present. Plus, I only have two pot holders left and one of them is in our wok when it's not in use (this place is very small and for the last 3 years I've been the queen of piling things) to keep it from being scratched by the glass baking dish.
I've got some more yellow and orange cotton yarn, leftover from some more frogged pot holders... looks like I'm gonna crochet for a bit.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Your post made me smile! I started learning crochet when I was a child and my first project were pot holders. On christmas morning, my grandma helped me to finish them, because I wanted to give them to my mom. This is so long ago, and it feels quite nostalgic to remeber it... Yay for pot holders! :-)